Southwest Virginia Wilderness Road Trip
As a part of our Summer and Fall WanderLOVE series, we have come up with 6 Road Trip ideas you’re going to want to do. Each one will take you to incredible locations within the region and give you plenty of things to see and do! Fill up your tank, pick your destination, and hit the road!
Our first road trip location we labeled as The Wilderness Road. This road trip begins in Bristol, Virginia (The Birthplace of Country Music), and travels all the way to Duffield, Virginia. Along the way, you will encounter great food, fun things to do, and wonderful Southwest Virginia Scenery.
Bristol Virginia / Tennessee
View this post on Instagram
Location: I-81 Exits 7, 5, 3, 1
Bristol is known as the Birthplace of Country Music, and split right down the middle is the state lines of Virginia and Tennessee. Within the Bristol area, you can enjoy places to stay, great places to eat, local shopping, and outdoor recreation. Another fun feature you can enjoy here is standing in two states at once! Here’s a list of a few things to enjoy while in the area.
- Downtown Shopping in Bristol provides a lot of great options to suit any needs.
- Bristol has a lot of great restaurants and breweries to complete your pallet
- The Birthplace of Country Music Museum is a wonderful location to learn about our musical heritage
- If outdoor recreation is more of your idea of fun, perhaps your adventure will begin here
Some notable attractions & nearby locations include:
- Bristol Motor Speedway
- South Holston TVA Dam
- Virginia Creeper Trail (Abingdon)
- Annual Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion
Location: For a more scenic route take US 58 (Bristol Highway towards Webber City) for a more straight route take US 11 W and merge on US 23 in Kingsport.
Traveling North of Bristol will lead you towards Gate City, Virginia. Gate City serves as a welcome center and gateway into Southwest Virginia. The area is rich in Pioneer and Native American History and is a part of the Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail. In and around Gate City, you’ll be able to find many fun things to see and do.
- Places to eat such as bakeries and eateries
- Just out of town is the Creation Kingdom Zoo
- Stay in a cozy cabin or bed and breakfast
- Enjoy nearby outdoor recreation activities
For more information on Gate City and plan your next trip, visit their travel website for complete details
View this post on Instagram
What will you capture in the mountains of Virginia? How about the Milky Way over fog-covered mountains. . This is the same park as yesterday’s post…this is the view above the tunnel. Stay a few nights in a cabin or campground. Visit our bio for website and events database for stargazing programs at our parks. At this park: 07/18, 07/25 & 08/01 Into the Night Hike, 07/20 Touring the Galaxy, 7/29 – Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower peaks – bring a chair and blanket. . 📍1420 Natural Tunnel Pkwy., Duffield, Far SW VA. Drive Time: Northern Virginia, 8 hours; Richmond, 6 hours; Virginia Beach, 8 to 9e hours; Roanoke, 3 1/2 hours; Knoxville, Tenn., 1 1/2 hours; Winston-Salem, N.C., 3 hours; Lexington, Ky., 2 1/2 hours. . Tag us to be featured: #vastateparks 📷@upabovegeorgia .
Location: From Bristol, take US 11W towards Gate City. From Gate City, take Route 58 towards Duffield until you reach US 23
Our final stop on the Wilderness Road Trip is in Duffield, Virginia. Duffield is home to some amazing Southwest Virginia locations you have to visit. Duffield is a great location if you’re looking for an escape to the beautiful outdoors.
- Natural Tunnel State Park is a breathtaking location with fun outdoor things to do
- Stay in cabins, camp, or other lodging options
- Hike the Daniel Boone Loop Trail
- Find out about local facts and history
Stay tuned as we showcase more great road trip ideas from around the region! In the meantime, be sure to check out some of our virtual visits on YouTube and follow us on Facebook for more information!