Huckleberry Trail

The Huckleberry Trail has deep roots and a long history in providing transportation between Blacksburg and Christiansburg. It began as the Virginia Anthracite Coal and Rail Company in 1902 to transport coal, and soon extended to Blacksburg. 

On September 15, 1904, the first passenger train rolled into Blacksburg. It was soon nicknamed “Huckleberry Crossing” because when the train would stall, passengers could step off the train and pass time picking the abundance of huckleberries along the route. The name stuck, and “Huckleberry Crossing” was soon painted on the depot. On July 25, 1958, the Huckleberry made it’s last steam run and operated on power until August 9, 1958. In the summer of 1966, the Blacksburg depot was closed.

In 1966, work began to transform the train path into a nature trail for about one mile between the Blacksburg Library and Airport Road. Under the guidance and with the financial help of the Friends of the Huckleberry, the paved trail now extends to the New River Valley Mall in Christiansburg, totaling over six miles. 

Friends of the Huckleberry is currently working to extend the Trail south into downtown Christiansburg and north to the Jefferson National Forest in Blacksburg. It is anticipated that both extensions will be completed by 2015.

General Info

Bicycling, Hiking/Climbing, Other, Outdoors and Sports, Scenic Drives/Places

Adventures Nearby