In Radford, trace the history that began in 1762 when William and Mary Draper Ingles established Ingles Ferry at a spot on the New River between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains. Then in 1796, an enterprising settler built a tavern on the stagecoach route. The tavern was called Lovely Mount and
included a general store and blacksmith shop. . It was the beginning of a commercial center.
Radford’s featured stops on the Wilderness Road include:
Mary Draper Ingles and Ingles Farm
Mary Draper Ingles Monument
Radford University Planetarium and Museum of the Earth Sciences
Radford University Visual and Performing Arts Series
Appalachian Regional Studies Center at Radford University